Originality research

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Originality research
From: c394829@is6.mdc.com (Kurt Oblinger)
Date: Fri, 16 May 97 13:09:49 PDT
Darrell Leach asked about how to determine details for a restoration on
an early TR4. Can't answer the specific questions as I don't know much
about 4s but here are some general ideas. Original road tests in magazines
such as Road & Track. For an early TR4 these would provide some good
information because since it was a new model it would receive an extensive
review and road test. The test car would probably be an early car beacuse
Triumph would want to get a car into the press fleet to get to the magazines
for testing as early as possible because of their lead times. Dealer
brochures are also very good because they usually have good color photos
especially of interiors. It can be difficult determining what year a brochure
is for but for an early TR4 it would probably have "All New!" prominently
somewhere.

I have good luck finding magazines and brochures at swap meets. Back issues
of Road & Track, Motor Trend, Sports Car Graphic and the like run about
$2 - $5. Dealer brochures and ads run about $5 - $15.

So far the best book on originality is Bill Piggotts "Original Triumph TR".
I have heard that he is revising this book and that it will be split into
two volumes, one on the TR2/3/3A/3B and the second on the 4 Thru 6.

Cheers,
Kurt Oblinger
Redondo Beach, Ca.
c394829@is6.mdc.com