Re: Spitfire timing?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire timing?
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 16:08:33 -0400
Roger Helman brought up a good point in re:

 >> I have a 1978 Trimuph Spitfire 1500 which was purchased from the
 >> previous
 >> owner with a broken timing chain and a cracked exhaust manifold.
 >>
 >> Erik Hanson
[edited]

 >        You might have some valve damage because of the broken chain. I
 >would inspect the valves very closely for damage.    The chain was broke
 >on my TR-6 when I got it. It had 3 bent  valves,  Lucky there was no
 >piston damage.
 >
 >Roger Helman
 >71 TR6 CC67866L

What's the story on the various Triumph engines, in case of timing
drive failure ?  I guess we know now that there's a valve crash on
the TR-6 and presumably the other 6-cyl engines, as well, but then,
Maybe not !

Various belt-drive OHC engines are known `crashers', such as the early
Ford Escort 1600s, AMC/Renault 1700s, Isuzu 2600s, etc.

What's the history of the Triumph OHV chain-drives ?

Inquiring minds wanna know.
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
'72 TRident 750cc  basket case  (GEAR-driven timing)