Re: Spitfire/GT6 master cylinders

To: Jeff Arrowsmith <jarrow@dlcwest.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire/GT6 master cylinders
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 23:53:53 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jeff Arrowsmith wrote:

> >Just a thought Dave, have you tried wrapping a string in the groove around
> >the rubber covers and, after starting the lip, pulling the string slowly to
> >work the rest of the cover into place?  May not be much better than what
> >you're trying, but it's thought.  Anyone else tried this?
> >
> >Mark
> >

> I don't see why this wouldn't work. I'll probably have it to give it a try
> in a few weeks....as I 've got a grommet  job in the near future.:-(
>
> I'll report back as to my success or failure. One other way I've heard is
> to cut one side and installation is a 2 second job.

Sometimes cutting is the only way to get obstinate grommets in place,
but that still permits leaks. On all rubber installations in our plant,
the general rule of thumb is copious amounts of a strong liquid
soap/water solution. This makes the rubber part rather slippery to the
hands, but that can be compensated for somewhat by wearing gloves with a
traction grip fabric exterior.

Cheers.

> "Why do you own 3 Triumphs?".........because I can't afford 4!

Amen to that! <g>

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....