TR-3A - Painting update and queston about Drano

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-3A - Painting update and queston about Drano
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.znet.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 10:59:32 -0700 (PDT)
Regarding my recent post about painting TR-3A wheels and air cleaners:

  Suggestions ranged from sand-blasting to cleaning up with Fantastic.
Also, a recommendation of soaking in vinegar to get rid of rust.

  My wheels have reasonable thirty-five year old paint and not too much
rust, so I am going to clean them off with sand paper and elbow grease, and
paint over.

  Most intrigueing recommendation (from a book) was to soak old license
plates in Drano for a few minutes to remove the paint.  I was thinking of
trying this;  I'm assuming it only attacks the paint and not the metal, and
is thereby ok for the air cleaners, especially the filter metal.  Drano is
highly toxic, but easily disposable.

  Any cautions regarding this approach?

Thanks.

John

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus articles, article outlines and Left/Progressive links at:
           http://sj.znet.com/~jfcowan/