TR-3A - Safe jacking strategy question.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-3A - Safe jacking strategy question.
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.znet.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 10:59:35 -0700 (PDT)
   I feel safe under the TR-3A when I jack up the front at the first
crossmember and put jack stands under the frame just ahead of the cross
member - with car in gear and emergency brake on, of course.
   I'm at a loss, however, as to how to be safe with only the back jacked
up, since the emergency brake and gear train don't lock the front wheels.
Chocks are the obvious idea, but they don't seem anywhere near secure
enough to me.  I have metal ramps I can use in front and use the jack
stands in back, but even this seems risky, since I am sure I could push the
car right off the ramps if the back were off the ground.
   Any suggestions?

   Also, There doesn't seem to be a safe centerline jacking spot under the
back of the car, as is the first crossmember in the front.  Jacking up a
foot on the side in order to get the stand under would seem to put too much
strain on the frame.  Or is this a non-problem?.

   Thanks.
John

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus articles, article outlines and Left/Progressive links at:
           http://sj.znet.com/~jfcowan/