Re: hood and smoke questions

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>
Subject: Re: hood and smoke questions
From: John Suchak <maxx@cybermax.net>
Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 17:53:13 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, green@cygnus.com
Shane F. Ingate wrote:

>         > There was some smoke coming out the exhaust. I saw a little black
>         > smoke and a little grey. What would be a reasonable amount of
>         > smoke? Is any amount reasonable?
>
> Warning Will Robinson, warning!  To me, the black smoke indicates burning
> oil, and the grey, water (head gasket).
>
> It seesm to me that this car is in need of work.  Unless you are an
>experienced
> hobbyist and want a project, I'd stay clear of it.  The seller does not seem
> very knowledgeable.  As most on the list will say, buy the very best you
> can afford; a project car could turn your first LBC experience sour!
>
>         Shane Ingate in San Diego

Shane:

I have to disagree with you on a couple of counts.  First, oil smoke is
typically blue-ish, not black.  Black smoke typically just indicates a
rich condition, not unlikely in a car that has spent apparently long
periods of time idle, allowing old fuel to gunk up  otherwise probably
fine carburetors.  The white smoke would generally indicate moisture, as
you say, but it doesn't necessarily mean head gasket!  Is there coolant
in the oil, or vice-versa?  Does the car run really hot?  Have we even
considered that it very well may be merely condensation in the exhaust
system, again, from long periods spent idle?!?  Perhaps there's a bit of
condensation in the old gunky fuel in the tank too, might explain the
rough condition.  Come to think of it, so would a set of grubby,
corroded points that have been sitting too long.  If the mileage is
true, this car has seen some extended storage.

My point here is simply what if this really *is* a super low mile car?
Under 25k!?!?!  Even if the motor had a big hole in the side of it it'd
be worth considering!  Every used car will require an initial investment
of a grand or two to re-hab it, why not start with a low mile, most
probably rust free car?  It's certainly worth paying a local mechanic
$50.00 to stop on his way home and have a look!!!

Hell, if the mileage is really correct *I'LL* buy the damned thing, and
love whatever smoke it produces!

Just my two cents..

John