Re: New list subscriber/ TR-6 owner/camshaft question

To: Craig Bentley <MMBENT@msn.com>
Subject: Re: New list subscriber/ TR-6 owner/camshaft question
From: Scott Paisley <scotty@csn.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 08:45:45 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Craig Bentley wrote:

[...]
> head, oversized pistons, etc.) and I came across a "crowler" brand regrind. I
> was wondering if any one knows  what the cam specs for a stock cam are. The
> crowler lists as .405" lift with 266 duration.

Craig,

Here's the stock cam specs for a TR6, note that the lift is advertised
at the
cam, so multiply by the rocker ratio (1.5 for U.S. market car) for total
valve
lift.

IO IC EO EC  DUR  DUR  LIFT RPM RANGE    COMMENTS

10 50 50 10  240  240  .220               Early TR6, also GT6
18 58 58 18  256  256  .240 2000-5000     Late TR6, '72-'73 and on
22 63 63 22  265  265  .280     ?         This is the cam in my car, 9.5 CR
31 71 71 31  282  282  .285 3500-5500     S2 Cam, used in PI models in
Europe
29 69 69 29  278  278  .281 2500-6000     Isky Z19, what I would use on
the street

It looks like the cam you have is very close to the cam I'm using.  Of
course
I haven't started my car yet, so I can't give you any particulars on
it!  Since
you mention that the duration of your cam is 266, it sounds very very
close to
the cam I have.  I'll let you know how it goes once I've started it up.
The S2
cam which is a common street cam for TR6's is nice, but I really don't
like the
high RPM range that is advertised, which is why I like the Isky Z19 for
an all
out street cam.

Note that the performance mod book for TR6's states that for a street
car, it's
better to go for lift rather than duration if you're faced with that
choice.
The cam I have in my car was inexpensive, so I understand your choice as
well.

You CR increase will make a significant difference, and port matching
the head will
improve things as well.  Without a HP exhaust, and other mods, I
personally don't
like the higher duration cams, as I keep my RPM range below 5000 rpms.
The
longer duration cams really make HP as the higher RPMs, not where I like
to drive
my car on the street.

In short, I think you'll be happy with the cam you have, and it will
take advantage
of the other mods you mentioned.

Cheers,

-Scott Paisley