Re[2]: FW: HELP - Clutch forks and shaft

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (Return requested), Wallnig@KR.FH-Niederrhein.DE (Return requested)
Subject: Re[2]: FW: HELP - Clutch forks and shaft
From: Peter Mchugh <Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov>
Date: 05 May 1997 15:52:22 -0400
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; 00745336E3A764D9-MTAdot1]
X400-originator: Peter.Mchugh@faa.dot.gov
X400-received: by mta MTAdot1 in /c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; converted ( IA5-Text); Relayed; 05 May 1997 15:52:22 -0400
X400-received: by /c=US/admd=ATTMAIL/prmd=gov+dot/; converted ( IA5-Text); Relayed; 05 May 1997 15:52:22 -0400
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <00745336E3A764D9*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=gov+dot/o=faa/s=Mchugh/g=Peter/@MHS>

     Having just this weekend faced the uncertainty of removing the shaft
     with fork firmly attached by long broken locking pin I can offer the
     following solution contributed by a wiser than I mechanic...At first I
     was reluctant to attempt the fix, but once begun found it to be an
     easy job...took about and hour and a half...as follows.

     With the tranny on a bench, and with good light, align and drill a
     hole (5/16th inch +/-) through the fork toward the pin hole... you'll
     have to start at an angle so that later, when you advance the bit it
     will directly line up with the long axis of the pin hole.  The fork is
     easy to drill, and once you penetrate it sufficiently you'll have no
     trouble keeping the drill lined up. (It isn't difficult to get the
     propoer alignment either). Above the pin hole in the shaft (which goes
     clear through the shaft) the fork has a cavity...you will feel the bit
     enter this space.

     The intent of the hole you have drilled is to permit use of a small
     drift or punch which, being carefully rapped upon with a mallet, will
     push the broken remains of the locking pin from the shaft, and out
     through the other side (the side where the head broke off) of the
     fork.

     (BTW, the lock pin isn't a taper pin...rather is a threaded plug of
     uniform diameter).

     Now that you have the broken pin removed, you may still experience a
     little binding and difficulty removing the fork from the shaft,
     probably due to uneven wear or burring around the pin hole.  With your
     trusty mallet, tap the fork off the shaft (or the shaft from the fork,
     as you will) and remove both from the transmission/bell housing.
     Clean the shaft and fork...check condition and set aside.

     Do not remove the shaft bushings in the bell housing unless they are
     badly damaged...simply press new bushings from the outside in (using a
     bushing tool) so that the outer edge of the new bushings just lies
     inside the outer edge of the bell housing.

     Take the shaft and drill the lock pin hole to 21/64th inches and tap
     it to 3/8th x 24 inch fine...obtain an appropriately threaded 1 and
     1/4 inch grade 8 bolt...drill the bolt head for safety wire....and,
     reassemble (with appropriate lubes) the shaft, fork, etc...align the
     fork, insert and tighten the bolt, add safety wire...and voila!!!!
     (BTW, drilling the safety wire hole in the bolt head was the hardest
     part of the job for me, once I got the courage up to start this
     project...because the grade 8 bolt is just damn hard.

     Credit for this snazzy fix, which (IMHO) is stronger than the
     original, goes to Dave Schillerstrom at Motorhead...without whom I'd
     have never undertaken the projectin the first place!

     Best of luck to all who follow...

     PMcQ

     76 Spitfire
     73 TR-6 (w/ above fix)