Electronic Ignition Infuriation

To: triumph-group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Electronic Ignition Infuriation
From: bkgallry@crl.com
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 17:44:30 -0700
In the never ending attempt to quell the heat sensitive engine stutter/tach
going crazy syndrome I queried the group about last week, a new problem (
as always) has arisen. Group consensus was to replace the ignition
so...after receiving  the new Crane Kit, we instsalled it today. Problem
is...car won't turn over due to lack of spark. We figure this must be due
to poor alignment of the  EI trigger mechanisim in the distributor. We've
tried and tried to adjust it properly, but it seems we must position it
quite far way to avoid the rotor rubbing against it. Just when se see spark
and know its right, we tighten screws ( which tends to move the bracket a
bit) pop the cap back on, turn the key and it cranks and cranks but won't
turn over. I can't believe that trigger is such a sensitive little bugger
that it would make this that complicated.

Anyone who's been through this have any advice on what may be going on?

We also installed a new Lucas coil but did not install an independent
Bal;last Resistor as we believe there is an internal . Good thing? Bad
thing? Shoot the thing?

Thanks as always,

Erik

'77 Spitfire 1500