Re: Rear Steer?

To: "Jeff S. Hapke" <hapkejs@cig.mot.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Steer?
From: "Lars G. Johnsen" <lars.johnsen@lili.uib.no>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 02:29:19 +0200
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jeff

> When I get off of the Gas, the nose of my car (TR6) dives to the right, back
>on
> the gas and it straightens out. I will order new trailing arm bushings, but
>the
> current ones seem to be fairly tight. I have been bouncing the rear of the car
> around by hand, with no apparent slop. I have the dreaded telescopic shock
> conversion kit, with new lever shocks on order from Apple. Is there any thing
> else that I should look at?

I had the same symptoms on my TR6, which also had sloppy bushings.
Changing the bushings revealed that one of the trailing arm brackets had
a crack in it going down across the bolt holes. I would guess that a
crack in one of the brackets could cause the same behaviour as sloppy
bushings. After installing new bracket and new bushings the car was
fine.

BTW, I also had one of the dreaded telescopic conversions on my car (the
ones bolting to the inner wing), but has now fitted a conversion which
mounts to the original shock mounts, and it works perfectly.

Lars

'74 TR6 CF27324UO