Re: spit - front end too high

To: mgx@icesar.epm.ornl.gov
Subject: Re: spit - front end too high
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 20:36:05 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Michael Galloway wrote:

> just finished a full front end rebuild on my 78 spit:
> poly bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings,
> shocks, trunions, etc ...
>
> now the front end is riding way too high. did i do something
> silly putting her back together?

Possibly not - I have a friend with a '78 Spit who experienced
the exact same thing.  We measured the front end as being about
an inch higher than my car (although it looks even higher).

Many years ago, when I had the original shocks (only) replaced
on my car by a "professional" garage, the front height increased
by approximately the same amount. The garage could offer no explanation.
I drove the car for a long time like this with no problems.  I have
since completely re-built the front suspension using new shocks
and some springs off a '74 parts car.  This caused the front end
to return to the original "lower" height.

This is a mystery that still puzzles me & some one else I know.
Perhaps it is unique to the 1978 model year Spitfire ;-)

--
Bob Sykes   -  - -  __,@_\____      s1500@worldnet.att.net
'78 Spitfires -  -- }-0-----0-`     s1500@aol.com