Re: TR250 Timing Marks

To: Tomislav Marincic <74137.3420@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: TR250 Timing Marks
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 14:47:45 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tomislav Marincic wrote:

>         Dear Listers,
>
>         Thanks to everyone who replied to my recent post concerning ignition
> timing. though no one could explain the Bentley manual procedure, the
>concensus
> was "who cares, time it at 10-12 deg BTDC."
>
>         I disconnected the vacuum retard line from the vacuum pipe at the
>intake
> and plugged it, and got out my timing light, and...ran into another problem.
>My
> pulley has no embossed timing marks on it. It has a large radial line, that I
> assume corresponds to TDC, and another smaller line at about 4deg ATDC. I
> lightly sanded the pully, but found no other marks under the surface
>corrosion.
>
>         TR250 owners, do your pulleys look like this? Am I correct in assuming
> the large mark is TDC and the smaller mark (about 3/8" from the large mark
> toward the passenger side of the car) is 4deg ATDC?. If it isn't, could
>someone
> with a degreed pulley please measure the distance from TDC to 12 deg BTDC
>with a
> caliper and get back to me with the measurement?
>
>         Thanks for the help!
>
>         Best Regards,
>
>         Tom Marincic

TOM:

According to my Haynes Manual for TR250/TR6, the dimensions are as
follows:

        As you view the pulley from the front of the engine,
        4 degrees ATDC would be 0.23 inch to the left of TDC,
        and 12 degrees BTDC would be 0.57 inch to the right of TDC.

Hope that makes sense/helps you out.

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6 (driver)
1970 Spitfire Mk.3 (under restoration)