TR250 Timing Marks

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR250 Timing Marks
From: Tomislav Marincic <74137.3420@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 29 Apr 97 14:18:40 EDT
        Dear Listers,

        Thanks to everyone who replied to my recent post concerning ignition
timing. though no one could explain the Bentley manual procedure, the concensus
was "who cares, time it at 10-12 deg BTDC."

        I disconnected the vacuum retard line from the vacuum pipe at the intake
and plugged it, and got out my timing light, and...ran into another problem. My
pulley has no embossed timing marks on it. It has a large radial line, that I
assume corresponds to TDC, and another smaller line at about 4deg ATDC. I
lightly sanded the pully, but found no other marks under the surface corrosion.

        TR250 owners, do your pulleys look like this? Am I correct in assuming
the large mark is TDC and the smaller mark (about 3/8" from the large mark
toward the passenger side of the car) is 4deg ATDC?. If it isn't, could someone
with a degreed pulley please measure the distance from TDC to 12 deg BTDC with a
caliper and get back to me with the measurement?

        Thanks for the help!

        Best Regards,

        Tom Marincic