Re: Throw-out bearing installation

To: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: Throw-out bearing installation
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 14:39:38 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
DUHART JOHN wrote:

> Hey All,
>
>         I noticed that TRF sells a tool for inserting the throw-out bearing
>into
> the sleeve.  I had no idea this needed to be done.  How
> important/necessary is this tool?  Does anyone have any suggestions on
> how to perform this task?
>
> Thanks,
> JHD IV

JOHN:

I would highly recommend the TRF tool, or something similar that you
could fabricate!!!  After much research prior to replacing my clutch
assembly in February on the TR6, I am convinced this tool does the one
thing that merely pressing the bearing onto the sleeve won't do - and
that is to ROTATE the bearing as it is pressed.  TRF furnishes a good
information sheet explaining the importance of this, and I am now
convinced that it is not just 'hype' to sell their tool.  The most
frequent cause of premature failure of the release bearing is as a
result of poor/improper installation.  Buy the tool - or make one - well
worth the effort and cost!!! My bearing went on the new sleeve with no
binding or other problems, and we're now cruising again with no more
"screaming chickens", to borrow a recent lister's description of the
sound made by his release bearing before replacement.

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6 (driver)
1970 Spitfire Mk.3 (under restoration)