Re: Aftermarket Seats

To: cb1500@erols.com
Subject: Re: Aftermarket Seats
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:35:44 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

I'll relate my experience...

My TR6 started to "die" much as you describe your Spitfire's seats. At
first I thought I must stop eating in the the car because of all the
"crumbs" under the driver seat. Closer examination reveals: it's the seat
foam. In my case all of the upper lateral support for both seats went
completely dead in a very short period of time last summer.

Your choices are:

1. re-foam. $150 plus time and/or labor.

2. re-foam and re-upholster. Way more $$$

3. buy a used seat or seats. Cost for one should be less than option 1
per seat.

4. buy a racing seat. Cost = "as much as you want to spend".

I bought a Kirkey aluminium racing seat (road race kind). I got one that
is 14.5 inches wide, you can go up to 16 in a Spitfire and TR6. A friend
went and tested several seats from Cobra, and none of them fit. Racer
Wholesale and Pagasus and Summit sell Kirkey and other brands. The low
cost Kirkey seat is between $100 and $130 and well worth it. You'll get
plenty of lateral support. What you will not get is: padding! If you go
this route, you will need to add pads if you plan on driving any sort of
distance in the car. Get some foam and make some covers that match the
color of your interior. I might even re-cover my Kirkey seat with New Tan
to match my interior.

Note: Racer Wholesale offers a "drag racing" seat. It does not provide as
much lateral upper body support, but it easy to get in and out of. My
road racing seat is, in a word, "tight". But it holds "real good".

Note also: sanctioning bodies might require a roll bar if you use one of
these racing seats in an open top car... I'll find out this weekend when
I take the TR6 to an SCCA event. So, consider yourself warned and bring
the stock seat "just in case".

Have fun!
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? A few. Might pick up another this
weekend!