RE: Replacing Diff Seals...(Spit)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Replacing Diff Seals...(Spit)
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 08:09:59 -0700
Richard J. writes:

>While we're on this subject, and while Mr Storm ain't about, is it possible to
>change the bearings on the Pinion, or does it require ripping the shit out the
>diff, and then special(S-T Part No-666)(Note the number) tools to replace it?
>Come on Barry, you must know(well, I thought Andy was getting too much
>attention!) :-)
**********************************
Well O.K., since you asked -
Yes it's possible to replace the bearings on the pinion but your talking
about a COMPLETE rebuild.  You must dissemble the diff almost completely.
Then, since you are replacing the bearings and the tolerances ARE going to
be different you will have to re-shim the pinion head-to-bearing to get
correct gear mesh.  In other words, a whole lotta work.  (Just went through
this last weekend in setting up the Quafie).  It might be possible to
replace the (front - smaller) bearing without disturbing any settings
(although for the life of me I don't see how you could remove the outer race
from the housing 1!), you would just have to reset pinion bearing pre-load
(12 -16 inch pounds without seal.  Earlier models use shims, later models
use crushable sleeve ) but usually this bearing is not the one to fail, the
pinion head bearing (much larger) which takes most of the abuse is the one
to go first, and the one that requires the most work!  The only special tool
I use for diff repair is one I made to hold the pinion flange while torquing
the pinion flange nut.  This consists of a long (two foot) one inch diameter
thick wall tube with a plate welded to one end.  This plate has holes
drilled to match two diagonal holes on the flange and is cutout in the
center to allow the socket to fit through.  Wouldn't be without one!

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)