Re: TR6 replacement seatbelts

To: triumph listserv <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 replacement seatbelts
From: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:53:15 -0500
Daniel Julien wrote:

  > Bruce Krobusek wrote:
  >
  > > For the past year or so I've been looking for new seatbelts for
  my '72
  TR6.
  > > The ones I currently have are original 3-point belts (in good
  shape,
  but 25
  > > years old). I've been reluctant to go to inertia-style belts as
  really
  > > don't want to drill holes in the car to mount the reel. (I'm
  trying to
  > > keep holes from appearing; I'd rather not create any!)

  causing Ken Streeter to wonder:

  > Does anybody know when the cutover from the "adjust it yourself"
  > the inertia-style seatbelts happened in the TR6?  Even the TRF
  > catalog doesn't seem to have any information on this, and I've
  > wondered what the "correct" style belts are on various models
  > of TR6.

  My '72 TR6 (manufactured Dec. 1971) had inertial reel-type belts
  when I
  bought it; I have no reason to believe they were not original to the
  car.
  This implies that either
    a) The change to inertial reel happened in early '72. (Is Bruce's
  car
  earlier
       than mine?)
    b) One of us doesn't really have original belts.
    c) The change didn't take place at a single point in
  time/Commission No.
  As in many things Triumph, I suspect the last may be true here.

  Dan Julien
  '72 TR6 CC78709U (undergoing body transplant)
  Austin, Texas
  djulien@mail.utexas.edu

To throw my two cents in. My August 71 '6 originally had static belts
which I have changed to a inertial set from a 76 '6. I had drill
mounting holes and add plates  for the reels.

--
Roger Helman
71 TR6 CC67866L