Re: Tranny Oils GL5 vs GL4

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tranny Oils GL5 vs GL4
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:33:07 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, bill nichol wrote:

> The ODs do require a limited amount of friction to operate and the
> synthetic and teflon addtive oils don't provide it.

I agree about Teflon and other super-slick additives, but synthetic oils
work fine.  I've been using synthetics in the OD transmission in my daily
driver TR4 for many years without any problem.  Synthetic oils by
themselves aren't really all that much slipperier than mineral-based oils.
If your OD requires mineral-based oil to keep from disengaging at
embarrasing moments, then it's nearly time for a rebuild.\

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us