Re: Sports coil/The Gathering

To: bill wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Sports coil/The Gathering
From: Brian Day <1briand@mail.airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 11:58:55 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill,

Several weeks ago I installed a Lucas Sports Coil in my '73 TR6.  As it is
internally ballasted, I wanted to make sure that I did not have a ballast
wire in my car.  To test, I tested the voltage at the "+" terminal of the
coil with the ignition on.  Sure enough - approximately 7-8 volts were
flowing, meaning the car had a ballasted ignition wire.  I ran a separate
wire from the fuse block (choose a post that is live only when the ignition
is switched on) and ran it to the "+" terminal of the Sport coil.  I left
the old ballasted wire in place (capped and taped - it is still live!) in
the event I ever wanted to switch back to the original coil.  The whole set
up took about tem minutes - works fine - and you are now supplying the full
13.5-14.2 volts to the Sports Coil that is required.

Good Luck!