Re: Sports coil/The Gathering

To: Bill Wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Sports coil/The Gathering
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:03:05 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill Wood wrote:

> To all those who have fitted a Lucus Sports Coil, what is involved in
> fitting the +12 v wire to the coil?  I fitted the Sports Coil in 1989
> and just last week learned from this list that I am now running a
> ballast in the wiring harness and in the coil!  Surprisingly, the car
> has run just great for all these years.
> Bill,

Everything will work normally, just not at the full potential of the
coil. You'll need to remove the ballast resistor wire from circuit and
run an auxilliary wire that supplies the full 12.v (actually 13.5-14.2)
to the "+" while the ignition switch is in the "ON" position. The Lucas
Sport coil is internally ballasted, and is designed to operate at full
battery voltage. You can run the new wire from the back of the fuse panel
as long as the connection is not hot all the time--stay away from
the solid brown wires. The white circuit works on my Spitfire.

Have fun,
Charlie B.
Spitfire Pilot