coil polarity

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: coil polarity
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph R Schneider)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 21:45:40 -0500
(snip)

>Well, I realize now I forgot to swap the wires on the coil. I go back to
>the shop and switch the wires. Car still runs, still charging.
>
>So, isn't the coil polarized as well? Why did it run with the hot and
>distributor wires hooked up either way?
(snip)
it's supposed to be connected one way, i recall reading once that it's
because it takes about 40% higher voltage to arc between the spark plug
"electrodes" under operating conditions if the coil is connected backwards
and the electrons in the secondary are travelling opposite the way the
engineer intended, but it turns out that the car will probably start and
you may never know the difference in practice
joe

Joseph R Schneider    Web Page http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~jschneid/JRS.HTML
76 Spitfire 1500  FM45587UC   VTR #11526  *Spit happens*