Re: Need Brake Rotor specs, TR3B

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Need Brake Rotor specs, TR3B
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:55:36 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Henry Frye wrote:

> fred thomas wrote:
> > Henry, when the machine shop puts it on the lathe he can mic. it
> > then & tell how far out it is, and if it a usacble item or not.
>
> I called my local machine shop, and heard that famous chuckle as the guy
> muttered "I'll look, ummm, I've got a TR7 listed, what did you say you
> got?"
>
> C'mon guys, somebody has to have gone thru this!

I have, with the rotors from my early TR4.  Modern rotors have the minimum
allowable thickness stamped or cast on them.  Failing that, the machinist
has to refer to his spec list or the specs from the factory workshop
manual.  Trouble is, the original thickness and/or minimum thickness for
the TR4 rotors aren't in the factory workshop manual, nor are they in any
other spec list I've been able to find.

The local machinist had specs for TR6 rotors, but not for earlier models.
I was able to convince him that TR4 and TR6 rotors are the same, so he did
the job based on the TR6 rotor specs.  Trouble is, the early TR4 uses the
same rotors as the TR3A, and they are NOT identical to the TR3B, late TR4,
TR5/250, and TR6 rotors.  I don't know if the original thickness is the
same, but my machined rotors have survived several years of hard use
without failing.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.