RE: Herald 1200 engine blow up.

To: "'INTERNET:jmwagner@greenheart.com'" <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: RE: Herald 1200 engine blow up.
From: keith bennett <Triumph@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 16:32:18 -0400
Cc: "'triumph'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On 13 April 1997 05:32, INTERNET:jmwagner@greenheart.com wrote:

>Were the rings properly gapped before assembly?

I can't remember how carefully I checked them, it was a few years ago now.
The next ones will be checked VERY carefully!
I had another look at the bits today, there seems to be a lot of wear on
the top surface of the top ring, i.e. it slops up and down in the piston
groove a lot. So much wear that there's a distinct ridge of about 8 thou
around the top outside edge of the ring where the piston crown is a smaller
diameter than the rest of piston.
Is this a normal wear pattern in an engine thats done 40,000 miles?
Maybe I should try to contact the Hepolite.

Keith Bennett                             triumph@compuserve.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/triumph/