RE: Herald 1200 engine blow up.

To: "'Kris Cotton'" <krisc@pi.bnis.net.au>
Subject: RE: Herald 1200 engine blow up.
From: keith bennett <Triumph@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 14:17:24 -0400
Cc: "'triumph'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On 08 April 1997 10:00, Kris Cotton wrote:

>At 19:05 07/04/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>Dear All,
>>I was driving up to Newcastle last Sunday and got about 20 miles when I
got

>Ok where are you ? Newcastle in Australia, Newcastle UK, or another one
???
The origonal one - Newcastle upon Tyne, in the north of England that is.

>>Would an oil cooler help, this would surely keep the piston temperature
>>down a bit?
>---------
>OIL Cooler will not help, repeat not, it may actually help kill the motor
>depending on the climate you live in as the oil may not reach operating
temp!
I'd fit a thermostatic one, surely that would give the best of both worlds.
My thinking is that a lot of the cooling that the pistons get must come
from the oil that's splashing about in the crankcase rather than the water
jacket which has only indirect contact.

>>Perhaps I need to run it a bit richer, it's currently on twin HS2s with
AN
>>needles.
>& there I think is the problem that caused the first hole in a piston if
the
>car is set up properly re fuel ratio you shouldn't have any more problems
>unless the type of spark-plug you are using is too hot ( what colour were
>the electrodes on the plug BTW.)
The plugs are the usual light brown sort of colour, and don't show any
signs of overheating.

>what was the timing set at at idle?
I not sure exactly what the advance is, but I normally set it on the road
by finding the point at which detonation occurs under  low rev/high torque
conditions and then backing off a few degrees.
, are
>you using flat top pistons or domed ?
flat
is/was the engine overheating to start
>with a radiator cleanout is a better option than an oil cooler
The water temperature is normally fine, I never get any overheating
problems
, lastly what
>type of fuel were you using ? some of that alcohol mixed base?? gogas I
>think its called or has that product died a natural death
Good old leaded 4-star
>another problem could be a loose nut behind the wheel :-) sorry couldn't
>resist it.
Come on now I was only doing 80!
>Tony
>Sth.Oz

Andy & Tony,
                Thanks for your replies, it looks like I need to look at
the mixture, although it's always seemed to be OK it's probably better to
err on the side of caution and run it a tad richer.

Regards,

Keith Bennett                             triumph@compuserve.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/triumph/