Herald 1200 engine blow up.

To: "'triumph'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Herald 1200 engine blow up.
From: keith bennett <Triumph@CompuServe.COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 19:05:09 -0400
Dear All,
I was driving up to Newcastle last Sunday and got about 20 miles when I got
a sudden loss of power followed by a cloud of smoke out the back (and from
under the dashboard), alerting me to the fact that something was wrong. To
cut a long story short, I 've now got the head off and number 3 piston has
got a hole in it and the bore is scored, so it's engine out time. I would
just put it down to experience if it wasn't for the fact that the same
thing happened about 40,000 miles ago, although that time number 2 let go.
 In both cases the piston holed at the side underneath the spark plug. I'm
led to believe that this sort of thing is caused by ignition problems,
which is feasible because I did have a misfire a couple of months ago,
which was due to a dodgy plug lead. I thought I rectified it fairly swiftly
but obviously not swiftly enough. Next time I'm going to fit proper copper
leads and not mess about with those stupid resistive things!
Does anyone have any other advice about how to stop this sort of thing
happening again?
Would an oil cooler help, this would surely keep the piston temperature
down a bit?
Perhaps I need to run it a bit richer, it's currently on twin HS2s with AN
needles.

Thanks in advance,

Keith Bennett                             triumph@compuserve.com
(currently lurking on the digest)