TR6 - hard to get into reverse

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 - hard to get into reverse
From: Robert Pennington <penningt@psc.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 14:14:56 -0400
Cc: penningt@reason.psc.edu
Hello All,

I have a 74 TR6 that I have been putting into shape as a nice daily
driver for several years, only getting to start driving it this past
fall.

I haven't had to do any internals work on either the engine or
transmission up to this point (having enough to do with brakes,susp,
paint, interior, electrical ... did I forget any other major systems).
However, the time may have come to do pull the transmission and have a
look.

Yesterday, I put it into reverse, backed up and then tried to take it
out of reverse.  Rats!  Stuck!  Push it again, maybe I didn't do it
right.  Still stuck in reverse.  Okay, push harder and it finally
moves out of reverse but feels very 'notchy' as it does so.  By this
I mean that what had been a very smooth and easy movement feels more
like I'm threading the shifter through an irregular maze as it comes
out of reverse or into reverse.

Shifting between the forward gears is still just fine.  It can be
gotten into reverse now but it is tough - pull up real hard on the
shifter and push it into position - hard.

Any suggestions on where to start looking and what else I'd better
watch out for as I begin?  I've done transmissions - a long time
ago on my Sonett and a GT6 but have forgotten almost everything
I knew - and maybe even more than I ever knew...

Rob Pennington
74 TR6  -  at last I have a convertible!  Or does it have me??