Re: transmission tunnel cover gap

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: transmission tunnel cover gap
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 06:02:01 -0800
Joseph S. writes:
         < snip >
> I noticed a gap of 2.25 inches between the back end of the transmission
> cover and the front of the sheet metal transmission cover- the seal
> described in the catalogues was missing, but I can't believe this seal
> fills in 2.25 inches
           < snip >
***************************************
Sounds to me like this car had an overdrive fitted at one time.  Overdrive
cars had a section of the body driveshaft tunnel cut back ( approx 3 -3 1/2
inches to allow for removal and installation), and a cover piece installed,
secured by a few sheet metal screws, to fill in the gap.  You may be missing
this cover piece.  I don't believe it's available at the usual parts places
- but easily frabricated from sheet stock.

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)