Re: Garage floor preperation

To: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: Garage floor preperation
From: bill nichol <bnicho19@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 11:30:54 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jack I. Brooks wrote:

> >We are thinking about building a garage and I wondering if I should do
> >anything special for the foundation - specifically wondering about a
> >vapor barrier under the concrete.  Is this advisable or no?  Thanks.
>
> Jon,
>
> If you are thinking about sealing you garage floor with something
> impermiable, like epoxy, use a vapor barrier, unless you are far above the
> water table.  Water can generate hydrostatic pressure sufficient to pop an
> epoxy floor off the concrete, taking the top layer of concrete with it.
>
> I used to sell epoxy floors to industry and have seen the epoxy pop when my
> client told me in writing they had a vapor barrier, and they didn't.
>
> Other garage suggestions: I really miss not having lots of 20 amp outlets
> and at least one rafter large enough to pull an engine.  Also, a hydraulic
> lift. (A lift, you ask.  Hey, who on this list wouldn't want one.  It's only
> a suggestion)
>
> Jack Brooks
> 1960 TR3A
Jack
        Check your local codes they are usually a pretty good guide. Yes always
use a vapor barrier. You can pour your footings with your slab. Again
your local codes will tell you what the demensions need to be. Ours
locally for a monolithic slab are 10"wide and 16" deep including the
slab thickness. If your codes will let you put a floor drain in do it
you'll be glad you did later. Be sure to reinforece your concrete with
fiberglass or wire mesh. A good base of gravel under the concrete can
also prevent many difficulties later. 6" slab is often recommended but I
have had good service out of 4" thickness w/high psi concrete(the top
grade availible from your supplier) as long as your not planning to park
large trucks on it(ie:2.5 ton). Also make sure it drains the way you
want. You don't want spills and other fluids running up against the
walls. Speaking of that. Another thing I like in a garage is two rows of
block befor the framing begins. Install as tall a door as you can and
include an aircompressor in your expense budget. There's nothing as
convienient as haveing air tools at the ready. Good Luck Let me know how
it goes.
Bill
78Spit
80Wedge(undergoing colonial conversion)