Parts Story, and Spontaneous Appreciation of Triumph Parts Vendors (lon

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Parts Story, and Spontaneous Appreciation of Triumph Parts Vendors (long)
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 11:16:29 -0500
In a thread last week, some discussions came up as to whether
or not the Triumph community would really suffer very much
with less competition amongst major parts vendors.  After my
experiences today, my impression is that the ability to keep
a Triumph on the road regularly would quickly fade away
without parts vendors who diligently work at providing *every*
part needed for these fine motorcars!

After spending over an hour this morning trying to find
just a simple fastener for my TR6 through standard local
automotive stores, I've come to a new appreciation for
being able to look the part up in a TR6 catalog from a
major vendor, look up the price in the price list, and
simply pick up the phone and have the parts arrive neatly
packed a few days later.  Even if the item gets back-ordered,
at least I know that somebody with much better connections
than I is working on tracking down that part!  Even simple
little parts can be entirely unavailable, or require all
sorts of dreaded bodges to keep our long-discontinued cars
operating safely.

Yes, if you can find a part locally through some other
source, you may save a few bucks, but then they'll be
nobody out there working with manufacturers to make the
parts that *can't* be found locally!

Here's the story:

What was the part I needed?  Just a simple jam nut for
attaching a TR6 front brake hose to the frame/suspension
at either end.  The old hose's external casing had
cracked, and would have been easily replaced, except
the jam nut that I took off the car had been badly cross-
threaded, making it a tremendous pain to get off.
The threads were damaged beyond repair, and I couldn't
rationalize forcing the damaged nut onto a brand new
brake hose.)

I *could* have simply ordered the jam nut from one of the major
parts vendors, but I had just placed a parts order three
days ago (I didn't know I would need the nut then), and didn't
have anything else that I *need* right now other than the
one nut.  I couldn't rationalize paying about $3 for shipping
on an order consisting of nothing more than a single jam nut
with a list price of $0.39.

So, I decide to stop by a local auto parts store on
the way to work to pick up the nut.  How unusal could it
be, I thought? It's just a standard SAE fine thread
nut for a 3/8" bolt (a 9/16" wrench.)  Now, this auto
parts store isn't the typical national chain store with
employees that don't know a box end wrench from a
tappet wrench, but is the kind of place that is frequented
mostly be automotive mechanics, not DIY types like me.
Indeed, I probably look quite out of place as I walk in,
attired in standard casual office clothes.  I hand over
the nut at the counter, and say, "I need a replacement
for this, it's a SAE fine thread jam nut for a 3/8" bolt."

The friendly mechanic behind the counter responds, "Hmm.
I don't think I've seen one like that before, what is it
from?"

I think, "Oh no, not that question.  Why is it that the
first question is always 'What is it from?' as if that
would somehow help find the standard box of nuts that
the replacement would be found in, anyway?"

However, rather than be argumentative, 'fess up to the truth,
"It's for a brake hose from a TR6" as I pull the old hose
from my pocket to show where the fastener belongs.

At this point, he grabs the dreaded Wagner brake parts
catalog, and starts paging through the brake hoses,
fittings, and everything else, remarking, "Gee, I've
never seen a brake hose that was fitted like that.
Normally a clip is used instead.  I don't think we have
any like that.  Are you sure it's a standard thread?"
replies the man behind the counter.

A chance, I think!  Now, I can get him to simply look
in the standard boxes of fasteners lining the walls
behind the counter!  "Yes, take a nut from that box
there," I say, pointing to the box behind the counter
where the regular SAE 3/8" nuts are in a neatly labeled
box.  "It's just like that, but I need one that is about
half that thickness."

He takes a nut from the box, and threads it easily onto
the hose,  "Yup, you're right.  But, we don't have any
nuts this thin," returning to the Wagner brake parts
book.

"Well, do you have any ideas on who might carry these?"

"Gee, I don't know.  Hey, Rudy, do you have any ideas?"
he asks the other clerk, who has been amusedly watching
the whole exchange."

Rudy replies,  "I don't know, we surely don't have
anything like that."

After another moment lost in thought, the first mechanic
says,  "Hmm.  You can try Hammer Industrial over on Amherst St.
I don't think anybody would have one of those, but they're
your best bet..."

I leave, but decide to stop at the other auto-jobber
parts store just down the street, since the directions
I was given to Hammar Industrial put it half-way across
town.  In the second auto parts store, much the same saga
ensues, but at least they don't ask what the nut goes
to!  Without my mentioning the first store, they also
suggest going down to Hammar Industrial.

Twenty minutes later, I'm at Hammar Industrial.  This
is another professionals-only type place, located
underneath a regular hardware store, but with a separate
entrance around back.

I walk up to the counter, and hand over the simple jam nut
that is causing me more consternation than I had bargained
for.  "I'm looking for a replacement for this," handing
over the nut.  "It's a 3/8" SAE fine-thread jam nut."

The clerk heads off into the stock room, and I hear him
talking to another employee:  "Frank, do we have any
jam nuts this large?"

Another voice responds, "Gee, I don't know, let's take a
look."  Then, the two of them can be heard rummaging around
in various metal fastener cabinets.  After about three
minutes, the original clerk emerges victorious, with new
jam nut in hand!  I breathe a sigh of relief.

"That'll be seven cents," he says.

All that hassle, for a seven-cent nut.

--ken
'74 TR6 Daily Driver