Re: Preserving vs. Improving

To: "Clark A. Wiedmann" <cwiedman@shaysnet.com>
Subject: Re: Preserving vs. Improving
From: Zink <Tiger245@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 09:39:56 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Clark A. Wiedmann wrote:

  I have a Triumph 3A that has been in the family for over 35 years.
  It was
  driven until it was about four years old, then stored in warm dry
  garages in
  California ever since.  I'm planning to move the car to
  Massachusetts this
  spring and start restoring/fixing it.

  I have a philosophical question for the group.  This car is
  unusually
  unaltered from its state as it came from the factory.  What approach
  should
  I take?  Should I (a) try to preserve as much as possible of the
  original
  parts and paint, (b) restore it to the condition it was in when it
  left the
  factory, or (c) use the car as a base and add nifty modern parts to
  make it
  a fun, racy, driveable car?

 Clark,
You have to ask yourself,"Do I want this as a daily driver?", then the
answer is update and upgrade.
"Do I want to drive it occassionally just for fun?", leave it alone and
just do necessary repairs.
"Do I want to show it?", then get a concourse resto job done.
As always this is MHO.

Larry Zink
1964 Triumph Spitfire4(almost original)