Re: Preserving vs. Improving

To: "Clark A. Wiedmann" <cwiedman@shaysnet.com>
Subject: Re: Preserving vs. Improving
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 10:47:56 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Clark A. Wiedmann wrote:

> I have a Triumph 3A that has been in the family for over 35 years.  It was
> driven until it was about four years old, then stored in warm dry garages in
> California ever since...This car is unusually
> unaltered from its state as it came from the factory.  What approach should
> I take?  Should I (a) try to preserve as much as possible of the original
> parts and paint, (b) restore it to the condition it was in when it left the
> factory, or (c) use the car as a base and add nifty modern parts to make it
> a fun, racy, driveable car?

The following is my own opinion, not necessarily a "corporate one" of VTR.
If the car, as you describe, could basically be cleaned up and look when
done like a three- or four-year-old car rather than one needing
significant cosmetic restoration, I would strongly encourage you to do
just that (your "a" option). Particularly if paint and upholstery are in
very good condition, there is an appearance -- a patina if you will -- of
the original paint and upholstery that is virtually impossible to
duplicate exactly.

If there are areas that really need attention, then you have to deal with
that, but to restore something that sounds as if it might already be
near-factory condition seems redundant (your "b" option).

As for your "c" option, there are still enough "needing some restoration"
TRs out there. To spoil an original would (to me) be a shame. If you were
to add nifty, modern parts, I'd try to do it in such as way that would
cause no damage and would be a reversible modification.

Frankly, though, a TR3A is a fun, racy, driveable car in absolute stock
condition (although I might round up an extra set of wheels and go with
more modern tires, saving the originals for show if they are the original
tires).

Again, this is my own personal opinion....

--Andy