Double Diamond!!!? AAAAAARGHH! TRF Replyboundary="PART.BOUNDARY.0.14673.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Double Diamond!!!? AAAAAARGHH! TRF Replyboundary="PART.BOUNDARY.0.14673.emout11.mail.aol.com.859951065"
From: TRFmail@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 22:17:50 -0500 (EST)
--PART.BOUNDARY.0.14673.emout11.mail.aol.com.859951065

TRF's Reply to the Double Diamond talk. (See attached file)

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.14673.emout11.mail.aol.com.859951065

                                    The Roadster Factory
                                    March 31, 1997
=0D
Dear Triumph List,
=0D
      I've noticed your comments about English beer and cider. Having tra=
velled a number of times
in England, I've drunk most of the ones you mention.
=0D
      There are many small breweries in England, many of which distribute=
 to a very local area. =

And we thought we had invented microbrews.  Some national brands, such as=
 Younger's Tartan, are
thought to be better in some areas than in others.  Big breweries buy lit=
tle breweries there as they do
here, and sometimes they let the local character alone and still distribu=
te the beer strictly in the local
area.  One of my favourites is Flowers, now owned by Whitbread.  It is ma=
de in the Stratford area,
and it has a picture of Shakespeare on the can.  One pub in Stratford has=
 four kinds of Flowers beer
on tap.  I can't remember all the names, but they include Flowers Traditi=
onal, Flowers Strong Bitter,
Flowers I.P.A., etc.  One is a gassy modern brew, and the traditional is =
a flatter traditional English
ale. I.P.A. means India Pale Ale, and I understand it is what was shipped=
 to the soldiers stationed in
India.  The commonly drunk ale in England is called bitter, not bitters, =
and one normally orders a pint
of bitter or a pint of lager.  Bitter is warm, and lager is cold.
=0D
      Then there are the draught ciders which most pubs have.
Strongbow, Woodpecker, Blackthorn, etc.  I've never had scrumpy cider whi=
ch has been described
to me as being very strong and nasty.  The draught cider I've seen in pub=
s is very clear and almost
gassy.  Draught cider is unavailable here in Pennsylvania, where alcoholi=
c cider is treated like wine
and only sold in bottles at State Liquor Stores.
=0D
      Draught English ales are not common in Pennsylvania.  It appears th=
at they do not generally
"meet our standards" and can't be easily imported.  We did have a connect=
ion with John Courage in
1995 when they donated six kegs of beer to our Summer Party, but now thei=
r telephone doesn't
answer any more.  At The Coventry Inn, we currently stock Bass Ale on dra=
ught, along with Harp
Lager, and Guinness Stout.  We sell our beer in English pint mugs and hal=
f pint mugs which are
twenty and ten U.S. ounces respectively.  Black and tans and 50/50's are =
both popular.  These are
half Guinness and half Bass or half Guinness and half Harp respectively. =
 We also stock a local
microbrew on tap and one light beer.  In addition, we have a large select=
ion of bottles including
microbrews.
=0D
      If you get a chance, stop at The Roadster Factory and The Coventry =
Inn on your travels if any
in or around Western Pennsylvania.  About fifty miles east of Pittsburgh.=
  Both businesses are
everything I've promised them to be.  We have good products, and we treat=
 our customers right.
=0D
      That's all for tonight...
=0D
                                    Regards,
=0D
                                    Charles

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.14673.emout11.mail.aol.com.859951065--