Crankshaft balancing

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Crankshaft balancing
From: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 97 8:08:24 -0500
Hey All,

        I have a question.  I'm rebuilding my engine and I'm wondering if I
need
to get it balanced.  I am using the same crankshaft, flywheel, pistons,
and rods that the engine started with.  The rebuild was just to replace
the bearings and thrust-washers, and get the engine boiled out in hopes
of getting the oil pressure up.  (I am taking some measurements on the
oil pump to determine if it needs replacing).  Given that I'm reusing all
the same main components, do I need to rebalance?

        Also, how do I tell if I need to replace the piston rings?  I was
getting a lot of oil build up on the #1 sparkplug, and i assumed the
rings were bad.  Dummy that I am I never did a compression test before I
tore-down the engine.  What should I look for the make a judgement on the
rings?

Thanks,
JHD IV