Re: Stuck Bolts

To: worsley@ebicom.net
Subject: Re: Stuck Bolts
From: npenney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:40:32 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Another item on bolts especially in aluminum - DON'T USE GRAPHITE.
>Graphite is highly detremental to aluminum.  A real no no is to mark on a
>airplane aluminum part with a pencil.  It will promote cracks in the
>surface of sheetmetal etc.

Do you know why?

>The anti seize compounds are available in different compositions to match
>the metal used on.  I have some stainless filled and copper filled types
>I have had for years.  Copper and aluminum also don't go together.
>There is a chart on the compatability factors (electrolysis??) somewhere.
> When joining electrical connections (copper to aluminum or galvanized
>material special coatings are required on the connectors etc).

>I'll be quite now - too many words

Please don't be quiet!  These words of yours are *valuable*!  I'd totally
forgotten about
checking out marine anti-seize compounds.  Something I shall do this weekend.
For I've got a
heck of a seize problem on my self adjusters on the Honda.  The auto parts
store anti seizes die
there in about a week.  I've used the old aircraft standby, Phillips Milk of
Magnesia, but that
didn't work either.  Now I'll try marine stuff.

This chart of yours, I'd *love* to find one.  Where did you get yours?