Re: TR4 Fuel Pumps / parts price ?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 Fuel Pumps / parts price ?
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 10:22:14 -0500
Hello Keith,  saw your post :

 >An earlier post mentioned the aftermarket fuel pump, without the
 >priming lever, and that they were made in Canada. I think the
 >company that makes these is actually in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
 >
 >Here's an interesting story. When I received one of these
 >aftermarket fuel pumps a few years ago from TRF, I found the
 >manufacturer's model number paperwork inside that indicated that
 >it was made here in Canada. At first I was disappointed because
 >I figurered that I had just paid too much for the item...i.e.
 >Canadian Price+shipping & handling to US+import duties and taxes
 >into the US+TRF markup+shipping & handling back to Canada+import
 >duties and taxes into Canada!!!
 >
 >Being the resourceful sort that I am (right), I figured I would
 >track down these pumps locally and order a spare. This way, I
 >wouldn't lose quite so much because at least 50% of my pumps
 >were bought at the lower price, right?
 >
 >So I start checking and everyone wants to know what vehicle the
 >pump is for. I give them the manufacturer and part number but
 >they insist on the car make & year...1962 TR4...Sorry we don't
 >have a listing... Right, but what about the manufacturer's part
 >number?...Ok...
 >
 >Guess what? It was cheaper buying via TRF than it was to buy a
 >Canadian made product locally!!! Go figure.
 >
 >Cheers
 >    _       _
 >   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
 >   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
 >   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario
 >   | 62 | TR4|        N5X 2K2
 >   | 67 |TR4A|        Canada
 >   | 70 |Spit|        Home:    (519)660-1916
 > __|    |Mk3 |__      E-Mail:  kstewart@wwdc.com
 >|  |    |    |  |
 > \T \___|___/ H/
 >  \ R I U M P /
 >   -----------

..and at one time I was considering buying a set of new Dayton wire wheels,
which I could get F.O.B. at the factory;  I thought I might save a fistfull
of Fifties over TRF's price.  Wrong.  My one-time retail purchase of the
wheels would have cost hundreds MORE than buying from TRF !!  I know nothing
of marketing, wholesale mark-up, volume discounts, etc, but apparently they
are substantial factors, and Charles R. must know how to work them to his
advantage -- and still offer a very attractive price to us, as well.

Does this make sense ?  Why ask why ??

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio