Re: GT6/Spitfire Diffs ( sorta long )

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6/Spitfire Diffs ( sorta long )
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 07:09:27 -0800
Lenny S. writes:
> Can someone tell me if what are the differences if any between GT6 diffs
> and Spitfire diffs? How can you tell one from the other?
>
> Also are there difference between GT6 MK1,2 and 3 diffs?
> Ditto for the Spitfire series.
Whew, quite a list and I won't get into ALL of the differences (and there's
a lot) but here's the most obvious-
Early Spit diffs up until the MK 4 had smaller, square pinion and axle
flanges using smaller 5/16th bolts and nuts to fasten.  Internals are kinda
weak (castings) as well as spider gears.

MK 4 and later used a larger round pinion and output flanges with 3/8's
bolts and nuts.  Internals are somewhat more robust but the casting for the
carrier with the 76 and later is the strongest (also many internal parts are
common with the GT6 and TR7 small nose 4sp)

GT6 is the basically the same as MK 4 and later spitfire except may have
3:27 ratio for non O.D. cars ( read no stronger than MK 4 )

You can also identify what you have as most anything TR by the number
stamped on the casing

Spitfire in order from MK 1 to 1500 using only the first letter for
identification-
MK1 to MK3 - FC, MK3 also RD
MK 4 - FH1xx, FK
1500 - FH5xxx on

GT6's use KC, KD or FD
KC _usually_ 3:89 ratio, others 3:27 OVD ratio -

Ratios are 4:11, 3:89, and later 1500's 3:63 for Spitfire
3:89 or 3:27 (non OVD but not always) for GT6

Andy M. may fill you in with the other's I missed (or mis-quoted) as well as
the Herald and Vitesse line.  I've just covered the basics here as there are
many internal bearing size, thrust washer, shim, crush sleeve, etc. that
would be really too long for this list.  Maybe some day I'll get down to it
and make a comprehensive list (small book) of all the differences and
procedures - Anybody think it would be all that useful? (like I don't have
enough to do already!!)

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)