Drain holes + differentials

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Drain holes + differentials
From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@pcsi.cirrus.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:10:32 -0800
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP8568892241alinkens@farnborough>
I've noticed water dripping out of the seams of the sills when the car is on a
slope. Somehow water has found it's way inside even though the sills have been
replaced fairly recently and liberally coated witth Waxoyl.
I could drill drain holes but would I find that spray from the wheels gets
inside the sills and causes more problems? Are there such things as one-way
drain plugs? I seem to remember someone mentioning these some months ago but
can't find the details,

Differentials do strip their gears - I've found that out by bitter experience!
I neglected checking the oil level in the differential for some time and was
'rewarded' with a grinding and gnashing sound from the rear end. Having just
made it home I pulled out the diff and opened it up to find not a trace of oil
and a beautiful pile of metal filings at the bottom of the case - needless to
say it was scrap!
A friend (with a Herald) recently had a key on the rear hub shear and the
result was that it wrecked the drive shaft. The only solution was to get a 2nd
hand halfshaft in his case. The symptom was no drive and a slight grinding
sound as the drive shaft turned inside the hub with the remains of the key
acting as a severe abrasive!

Andy