Re: Fuel Line TR4

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel Line TR4
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 00:52:01 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Tim Clayton wrote:

> In troubleshooting everything else I found ANOTHER problem...  Was powering
> car often while electrical troubleshooting - and electric fuel pump is
> powered by voltage inverter - so whenever I have switch in any position
> other than off, the fuel pump is going also.  Shouldn't normally be a
> problem - but I noticed fluid in engine bay and - you guessed it - gas....
> So today I'm replacing all the rubber fuel line connections.  HOwever, it
> looks like the fuel split (whatever it's called - approx 3" x 2" metal T)
> that's bolted to fender well (where the line is split into 2 for the dual
> carbs) is leaking as well....
>
> Can I just pop into Chiefs Auto and buy a simple "T" to replace - or does
> this larger metal device provide some necessary function like regulating
> flow evenly to both carbs??????????

What you've described isn't the standard TR4 setup, so it's hard to say
what that tee really is.  It's possible that it incorporates a pressure
regulator, but it probably isn't necessary unless the electric pump puts
out more pressure than the float valves in thew carbs can handle.  If it's
an SU fuel pump, excess pressure shouldn't be a problem so an ordinary tee
will do. If it's some other brand, it's anyone's guess.  If fuel pressure
at the engine compartment end of the fuel line is in excess of about 2.5
psi, then you need a regulator.

The standard TR4 setup is comprised of metal tube from tank to engine
compartment, with the tube bracketed to the left frame rail approximately
parallel to the mechanical fuel pump.  A short piece of rubber tube
connects that metal tubing to another piece of metal tubing connected to
the pump's intake port.  Another piece of metal tubing goes from the
pump's output port vertically to about the level of the head gasket, then
forward horizontally, wraps around the front of the head (through a
bracket mounted on the thermostat housing), to just short of the front
carb.  Another short rubber tube connects that to the front carb, and a
metal tube is rubber-mounted between the carbs to feeds the rear carb.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.