Re: TR3 -- A vs. B?

To: Jamie Palmer <jamiep@cris.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 -- A vs. B?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 22:29:37 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Jamie Palmer wrote:

> Andrew Mace wrote:
> >
> > Hard to say. What makes a TR3B different from a TR3A is primarily a
> > TR4-style all-synchro transmission in all 3,331 of the cars built, and (as
> > standard equipment in the last 2,800 or so) the TR4's 2.2 liter engine.
> ><snip>
>
> One small note, Andy.  At least the last 30 (TSF 501-TSF 530) chassis of
> the TSF series, which as far as I know were all made into Italias, have
> the NON-SYNCHRO gearbox....

Yet another of those wonderful grey areas that have always surrounded the
3B. The transmission issue, of course, is one that has been argued for
years. Perhaps your information, in fact, is one bit of fuel that has fed
the debate. More importantly, of course, it's further evidence of the
"afterthought" nature of the 3B production run. (Silly colonists think
they still want these cars, eh? Well, bloody great. Finally we can stop
tripping over all these bits lying about, right?)

--Andy

After 15 years, still yet to crawl under my 3B and determine what
transmission is in the rolling wreck I felt sorry for so many years ago. ;-)