Re: No Subject

To: Bschwartz@encad.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: No Subject
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:05:13 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-02-20 16:54:23 EST, Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry
Schwartz) writes:

<< The point gap is set by looking at the points opening with the lobe on the
 distributor.  When the lobe is at it's highest (the apex of the lobe is
 directly in line with the rubbing block) and the points are open the most is
 when you set them.  The most accurate way is to use a dwell meter, but
 feelers shoould suffice.

Hello All

Although I believe I do understand the function of the dizzy,  I've always
been more intimidated by it than I should be, so I'd like to follow up and
expand a little, if I may.

Is there a formula to turn a physical gap opening into a 'dwell' ?  Maybe I'm
just being real stupid about this, but.......  The gap is published but I've
never seen a report of the 'dwell' for a TR 3.  Any help out there.

Also I've seen discussion of static timing as opposed to using a timing
light.  I'm sure I read one time that a light should 'not' be used.  Any
comments here?

When I used the timing light the mark jumped all over the place.  What did I
do wrong?

I have tried the vernier advance on the TR 3, but I could never get it to
  'ping' .  I guess it's possible the vernier is not working, but physical
inspection indicates it should be OK.  It's a  brand new dizzy put on the car
during Triumphest at Sacramento.  The old one started acting up coming into
Needles on the way out from NM.

Some time ago I had the pulley replaced on the crank.  the mechanic neglected
to line up the hole in the pulley with TDC.  When I installed the OD last
year i lined up the scribe mark on the flywheel for TDC, then filed a notch
on the pulley to mark TDC for timing purposes.  Anyone see a flaw in this ?

How does one tell what a 'degree' translates into in terms of a linear
measurement on the pulley.  How far from the TDC mark, in MM say,  is 10
degrees BTDC ?

Thanking all in advance from a retarded, distributorially challenged TR guy.

Bob Paul
Corrales NM
TS45738L"O" 59 TR 3
TS7280L  -The blower arrives next week- too bad the engine's not done, or the
rest of     the car for that matter.