Re: Looking for GT6 Carbs

To: "DaveFain" <kc3565l@sprintmail.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Looking for GT6 Carbs
From: "Bill and Sal Birney" <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 18:35:43 +1100
Dave wrote:

> A setup like this would be 'way too much carb except on a
> highly modified engine but it would look extremely cool if
> you have the "cubic dollars" to invest in the first place.
> Dual Webers would be more realistic but still probably
> wouldn't improve the performance much unless the engine was
> already tweaked some. I will probably get beat up for this,
> but I don't find the Zenith Strombergs on my GT6 all that
> troublesome as long as I replace the diaphragms once a year
> and keep the oil topped up.  YMMV.
> Dave

I suppose it depends on what you want to do. I agree that this is too much
for a standard motor, however if you really want it to go, and are willing
to spend a little money on the exhaust, cam and head, it will make for one
sweet little motor (at least at revs).

After all, for those of us lucky enough to have not been strangled by
anti-smog, the TR6 came with PI (and I have a set sitting in the spare room
that will be going onto a worked 2litre motor for the GT6 on day), and this
is just 6 LARGE chokes (yes, I know that injection does not have the
problems of maintaining fuel in suspension).

Anyway, if you really want the car to go, and you spend the money to make
the head breath, then 3 x 40 mm DCOE Webbers is a good investment.

Bill and Sal Birney
'70 GT6+ (RHD)
'67 Spitfire MkII (restoration)
'69 Spitfire MkIII (Sal's, in queue)