Re: TR6 Dash Restoration

To: TWALLI@vanheusen.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Dash Restoration
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 23:36:49 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 05 Feb 1997 10:05:01 -0700 TWALLI@vanheusen.com (Walling, Tom)
writes:

>This spring, I'm thinking about replacing the entire dash board area
>of my
>73 TR6.  This means the "crash pads" as well as the wooden fascia.

Before you start, get the Bentley manual.  It makes life much easier.

>Does
>anyone on the list have experience with this?  What's the deal about
>pulling
>the windshield frame off?

Very easy.  Two studs with Nyloc nuts holding it down with four bolts
clamping the studs in place.  Remove the kick panels in the footwells to
get at them.One of the clamp bolts on each side is acccessed from outside
with the door open.  Probably need an assistant to help pull the frame up
evenly so it doesn't bind in its fittings.

  It looks like this has to be done to get at
>the
>dash top crash pad.

True. the dash top pad extends under the windshield frame.

What parts should I order (or should I say put on

>backorder?) to do the job properly?

You might want to check the condition of the rubber seal between the body
and windshield frame.

Is there a good (read easy) way
>to get
>the demister ducts out?

Remove the glove box.  The ducts are secured to the dash top with one nut
at each end.  If the glovebox is really ratty, get a new plastic one from
TRF.
 Any tips would be appreciated.

>Also, could anybody advise me about the difference between the
>Panasport
>wheels offered by TRF and the Minilite look-a-likes from Moss (other
>than
>$50)?
I have had the Panasports on mine for about 4 years and they are great.
I have nothing to compare them to but the wire wheels which are now
stored in my attic.
Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6 (Getting ready for paint)
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)x
1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
1971 Land Rover (Farm use)
1967 Daimler V8 Saloon (Be patient! I'm workin' on it)
1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)
1987 VW Golf GTI (How did that sneak in here?)
1972 Grady White Chesapeake Mercruiser I/O