re: TR3 Engine Freshening

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: TR3 Engine Freshening
From: Jeff Williamson <jaws@mich.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 22:10:40 -0500
Hi Matt,

I caught your messages to the "list" and thought maybe I could provide
some enlightened input.

You and I had some correspondence a few months ago about the rear oil
seal on a TR3. Based on my recent experience, I think you will probably
want to go ahead and replace the rear oil seal. With the engine out of
the car and the transmission removed, this is a 30 minute job at worst
and costs very little compared to the possible repercussions of not
doing it later on. I went with the stock type seal and centered it after
the crank was securely fastened, and so far, so good.

As far as the clutch slave, I have a TR4A motor and tranny with
overdrive, but as best as I can tell, I have a TR3A clutch slave
cylinder and have had no problems. Just make sure that the slave
mounting bracket is mounted on the correct side of the
transmission/engine flange (to the front I think, if this becomes a
problem for you, I'll check).

On one of your previous messages to the list, you commented that you
were getting about 70 lbs compression from #4 cylinder and 140 lbs from
the rest. Although your problem could be valves as you have hoped, it
could also be broken rings. You might want to consider a ring job while
you've got things apart. It's not that expensive or complicated,
especially if you've got the head off anyway.

Let me know how things work out.

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI
1958 TR3A (Not For Sale)
1959 Porsche 356A (Maybe For Sale)
1958 Edsel (For Sale Soon)
1979 Corvette (May Trade)
1987 Cavalier Z24 (You can Have it Cheap!)
1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo (Needs New Turbo)
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 (Never for Sale!)