Re: Sisyphus & engine removal

To: jape@email.unc.edu
Subject: Re: Sisyphus & engine removal
From: Tony Robinson <TonyR@dzn.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 11:37:41 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
jape@email.unc.edu wrote:

> There I was on Sunday, ready for the TR4A motor to come out. Everything
> was unbolted.  The engine was supported by the hoist.  It would pull out
> one inch from the bellhousing and no more.  I would release the tension.
> It would slide back up against the bellhousing.  I would raise it again.
> It would more forward an inch.  I would take it down some, it would go up
> against the bellhousing.  After three amazingly frustrating hours of this,
> I abandoned the task.  What's wrong?
>
> John Paul "Sisyphus" Middlesworth
> 1966 TR4A

John
 Engine ermoval from a TR4 is most easily accomplished with the drive
shaft disconnected so the transmission can be moved back.
 The input shaft on the transmission must move about 4 inches to
completely pull away from the pilot bushing and clutch asembly.
 Trying to pull the engine without moving the transmission back may
possibly result in a broken input shaft