Re: Limey

To: smith007@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Limey
From: "Richard Fontaine (ENG)" <fontaine@scooby.lklnd.usf.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 12:43:31 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Richard Jackson <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>, Jane Burdekin <burdekij@bvsd.k12.co.us>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
phil;
i'm sure there is a very knowledgeable member out there that will correct
me, but i've got a partial answer to "limey" meaning..back in the golden
age of sailing ships and england the ruler of the seas,the crews were
subject to scurvy(due to lack of vit. c in restricted diet of bread and
salted meat)they began carrying limes aboard ship to add vit. c to correct
the deficiency,thus the term, "limey"...
o.k. brits?
dick fontaine
48mgtc
62tr3b