hydraulics: sleeved vs new and cylinder casting #'s

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: hydraulics: sleeved vs new and cylinder casting #'s
From: mbarre@juno.com (Matt Barre)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 11:04:28 PST
I have heard nothing but good things about White Post and their sleeving
of hydraulic cylinders.  What about reusing the pistons?  I just
expended a bit of effort getting some frozen pistons out of slave
cylinders and I noticed that the pistons had some minor scoring on the
sides.  Will these be OK after a little polishing?  Can you even get
pistons by themselves?  In the end I will have to look at the current
cost of new vs the total cost of the sleeve, kit, and misc hardware.

Part 2, casting numbers:
Does anyone have a listing of the cylinder casting numbers that will
enable you to match part with car?  I saw a few weeks ago where problems
with a rebuild kit was a result of a dpo cylinder swap.  I checked the
TRF price list and the casting numbers I have did not correspond with
the listed cylinder part number.  I checked with White Post  and they
just check the bore and disregard the numbers.

My immediate problem is determining which clutch slave goes with my TR3.
It is one of the two I just disassembled and I am pretty sure which is
which but I just want confirmation.  The likely 3A cylinder is cast iron
and has MGIRLING075 on one side and 74660035 on the other.      The other
is a lighter alloy and has GIRLING 313440 back on a flat where the
bleeder and hose screw in.

While we are talking hydraulics, I received a master from Moss a while back and
was surprised to see that it was not Girling.  It was manufactured
in Australia!  Anyone have any comment on the quality of these?

TIA,
Matt Barre (digester)