Re: FW: Spit Front Wheel Bearings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, "Vincenti, Ross" <VINCENR@transamerica.com>
Subject: Re: FW: Spit Front Wheel Bearings
From: "Peter Mchugh" <PMCHUGH@mail.hq.faa.gov>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 15:37:18 EST

     Having just worked through this dilemna myself last weekend on both a
     TR-6 and a GT-6, offer the following.

     I noticed more wheel play on the front TR-6 axle than acceptable and
     removed the wheel...found inner bearing outer race had turned and
     groved the hub sufficiently to allow the race to wobble...noted, on
     removing the bearings that the DPO (PDO?) had installed two felt
     seals, one mounted with the felt facing the bearing and the other felt
     facing the upright...this is interesting since I've owned the car
     since 1980 and never removed the hub (at least I don't remember doing
     so)...and the car gets driven regularly w/ >160K miles.  I had
     tightened the axle nut several times and greased the bearings from the
     outside regularly, but never felt necessary to remove hub...so, I went
     to local LBC store and purchased wheel bearing kit...which came with
     bearings, split pin, grease, and guess what...four (two for each side)
     felt seals.  Now none of the books (and I have 'em all) show two seals
     per side, so the question became (the one you've asked) which way do
     the felt seals face...in or out.

     The answer lay in disassembly of my GT-6 fron wheel...logic says it
     should be same as TR-6, al be it with a smaller bearing...and
     presto...the felt on both right and left wheels faced the up right...I
     confirmed this with the afore mentioned LBC shop, and reinstalled all
     4 hubs, bearings, races and corrected felts...felt good so to speak!

     The question unanswered is...why are there two seals per side in the
     wheel bearing kit????

     PMQ

     73 TR-6 (with new front rotors, hubs, bearings, and felts
     72 GT-6
     69 GT-6+ (2)  One of which with new front rotors, hubs,
     bearings...etc.