Re: FW: Spit Front Wheel Bearings

To: Unregistered_Address@ford.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FW: Spit Front Wheel Bearings
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 15:04:57 -0400 "FW: Spit Front Wheel Bearings" (Sep 30, 11:53am)
> Subject: FW: Spit Front Wheel Bearings
>
> Over the weekend, a member wrote:
> > OK, I finally replaced my front wheel bearings on Saturday, and
> > after driving the car yesterday, everything seems OK. One question
> > came up while I was installing the bearings though.
> > > Which way 'round does the seal go? Felt to the bearing or felt to
> > the hub?
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> And Jonathan Miles replied:
>
> Felt to hub is correct.  I've tried this both ways by mistake but
> eventually found out that the latter is correct.
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Okay, hate to argue, but I've went through (1) Bentley Manual, (2) Haynes
> Manual and (3) an old Autopress Manual for early Spitfires and concluded
> (based upon drawings and text) that the felt part butts up to the upright,
> not to the hub bearing.  However, I do have one interesting difference on my
> car.  On the left side the felt oil seal spins along with the hub bearing
> and on the right side the felt oil seal stays stationary when I spin the
> hub.  It appears that the felt is getting slightly hung up on the machined
> face of the upright.  Any thoughts as to whether this is going to cause
> problems later?
>
> Ross D. Vincenti
> 64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)
>-- End of excerpt from Vincenti, Ross

Ross,

I originally asked this question this morning. When you say against the
upright, I think that you are refering to the same side as Jonathan is.
My question was does the felt side of the seal go against the bearing
or against hub. In writing that just now, I think I understand where
the miscommunication is. To make it easier, I should have asked if the
felt went towards or away from the bearing.

My understanding of Jonathan's answer is that it goes away from the
bearing.

As to your question, I think that all you are going to see is failure of
the felt. BTW, how do you know that the felt is getting hung up? Has it
ripped away from the metal? The felt was attached to the metal on mine.

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ford.com