(Fwd) Re: TR2/# Bonnet

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: (Fwd) Re: TR2/# Bonnet
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 08:02:01 -0400
Paul sent this to me alone, instead of to the list/George. Since I
don't have George's address on-hand, I am forwarding this to the list.

Doug Mitchell

--- Forwarded mail from "Paul G. Wiegman" <pwiegman@ix.netcom.com>

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 10:51:25 -0400
From: "Paul G. Wiegman" <pwiegman@ix.netcom.com>
To: Doug Mitchell <doug@dsg128.pd3.ford.com>
Subject: Re: TR2/# Bonnet

Doug Mitchell wrote:

> On Sep 25,  9:06pm, George Richardson wrote:
> > Subject: TR2/# Bonnet
> > I've got a question for those of you who have TR2/3 models.
>
> [background info snipped]
>
> > The bonnet that I got from Rik is considerably different; it has no lip
> > at the back end, and there are 2 metal plates welded into the rear
> > support member. All of this is original.
> >
> > None of my books go into any detail on what chenges were made when to
> > the bonnet.
> >
> > Can anyone ID the car that this bonnet is from?
> >

> > George Richardson
> > '57 TR3, TS15559
> >-- End of excerpt from George Richardson
>
> George,
>
> ISTR that the TR2s had this type of bonnet. There should also be a rivet
> near the slot at the hinge edge of the bonnet. I don't know when these
> were changed though.
>
> Doug Mitchell
> dmitchel@ford.com
> dmitchel@ismi.net
> Southeast Michigan

George:

This is a question I have often wondered about and checked cars @ shows.
Here in the Western Pennsylvania region I have never seen another car with
the plates and rivets. I was in England in early Sept., and and stopped at
Graydon to talk with their Triumph expert, and he has at a complete loss of
just when these cars were built, and why the rivets were installed. My car
was built 30 November 1956, and is a TR3.

Some have said that the rivets are from the TR2, but my car has the rivets
(of the TR2), but the bonnet release is factory installed and is a TR3 style.

The Coventry Factory (which is now been torn down to make way for a new
industrial park) was noted for finding old parts from other models and
adapting them to which ever model was going down the line at the time. Thus,
these may be TR2 hoods that the TR3 release was attached.

I understand that TRA has some information concerning these bonnets. You
may want to check with them.

Paul g. Wiegman
1956 TR3   TS14551L

---End of forwarded mail from "Paul G. Wiegman" <pwiegman@ix.netcom.com>