RE:Herald + GT6 = Vitesse

To: Kurt Oblinger <c394829@is6.mdc.com>
Subject: RE:Herald + GT6 = Vitesse
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 14:58:13 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, Kurt Oblinger wrote:

> Andy Mace probably knows better than I, but I
> think the Vitesse chassis is different from
> the Herald at the front...

Yes and no. All Vitesses used a reworked and strengthened version of the
Herald 948/early 1200 frame that became known as the "Star" frame.
Eventually, however, this basic frame was adopted for all Heralds as
well. Perhaps the most obvious differences are in the rear suspension
mountings (bracing is much stronger in the "Star" frame) and, as Kurt
notes, in the front, where the front-most crossmember is bowed out a
bit, and where the engine mounts bolt to the top of the suspension
turrets, rather than their previous location below, on the chassis itself.

> ...Don't know how much a Herald
> frame would have to be altered to work. Keep
> your eyes open for a Vitesse being parted out.

Again, a qualified yes. I wouldn't even bother trying to convert an
old-style Herald 948/early 1200 to six-cylinder specification. It's not
so bad with the later-style frame, IF you have ALL the necessary bits
from a donor Vitesse/Sports 6.

> My idea of the "ultimate Herald". Start with
> a Sports Six (US version of Vitesse 1600 convertible)
> fit GT6+ engine and gearbox w/ OD, 3.89 GT6 diff.
> Uprated front springs w/ Spax shocks and GT6 disc
> brakes. At the rear, GT6 half shafts and brakes
> w/ a John Kipping swing spring conversion and
> Spax shocks.

Sounds right to me, although I'd still call it the "ultimate VITESSE";
the ultimate Herald would be much cooler still: linered-down "Sabrina" TC
engine on a Triumph 1300 transmission modified to drive both front and
rear wheels.... :-)

--Andy

Andrew Mace
Ultimate 10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register
amace@unix2.nysed.gov